Harrowing is one of the best ways to properly maintain your fields. If you are looking for a harrow that will help you level the mole holes, lift vegetation up, prepare crops for seeding or remove weeds, there is nothing better than a drag harrow. This article is all about helping you people to find the best ATV drag harrow. A drag harrow, also known as a chain harrow, was originally designed to be used behind horses and cattle. However, farmers around the world are extensively using ATV drag harrows now. Since they not only help in prepping fields and gardens, it also improves the overall roots aeration and water infiltration.
Moreover, drag harrows help in improving plant health by reducing the chance of diseases caused by fungi and bacteria. The market is loaded with many different types of harrows, but chain harrows are the ones mostly use mainly due to its versatility and performance efficiency. If you are not in a mood to read our whole review then you can simply check our below list to find out your desired drag harrow…
Best ATV Drag Harrow Reviews
For our reader convenient we divide our top atv chain harrow list into some subcategory. That subcategory is given below…
- Best value for the money: Field tuff drag harrow
- Titan drag harrow: Titan 4.5′ x 5′ Heavy Duty Drag Harrow
- Drag harrow for atv :Guide Gear ATV Drag Harrow
- Drag harrow for lawn tractor :Yard Tuff DH-045 Drag Harrow
- Chain drag harrow: Variable Action Drag Chain Harrow
- Heavy Duty Drag Harrow: Field Tuff Heavy Duty Drag Harrow
Now lets start the main review…
1. Best Value for The Money: Field Tuff Drag Harrow
Value for money wise, this chain drag harrow is the best on the market. It features 0.5-inch thick harrow teeth with heavy-duty steel construction. This size of harrow teeth is considered ideal for leveling of plots, grading the soil, breaking of soil as well as for leveling pastures. It is 4 feet wide and 4 feet long, however, if you want something bigger, you can invest in a separately sold 4 feet wide and 2 feet long section that can be attached to the chain harrow.
The drawbar that comes with it is compatible with 2 inches wide trailer ball. Hence, it can be connected to ATVs, UTVs and lawn tractors without any hassle. The best part is, this chain harrow is 129 pounds heavy and comes with 7 horizontal rows of tines and 69 heavy-duty tines. Thus, while plowing, it will neither wobble nor jump over the ground reducing the efficiency.
- A separate section of the net is sold that can be used to increase the size and improve the efficiency of the harrow.
- Thanks to its wide trailer ball, it can be connected to all lawn tractors, UTVs and ATVs.
- The chain drag harrow weighs 129 pounds, thus it will not wobble.
- It has 3-waytines, hence, it can be used for a number of different tasks.
- it is not designed to pick up debris, although it does collect a few sticks and twines.
- Can get clogged while breaking the soil.
2. Titan drag harrow: Titan 4.5′ x 5′ Heavy Duty Drag Harrow
This three-way Titan company chain drag harrow is manufactured using Q235 Iron. The iron has high tensile strength and is ideal for all kinds of heavy-duty tasks. The harrow is ideal for aggressive as well as passive plowing unlike many chain harrows that are constructed using light and weak iron. The chain harrow is specifically manufactured to be durable and rust-resistant. The tow ring, as well as the tow bar, are constructed using the same iron, thus, they are pretty heavy-duty as well.
Based on your needs, the tow bar, as well as the drag-mat, can be flipped. This will help you re-positioning it for different types of harrowing. Size-wise, the chain harrow comes in a 4.5 feet wide and 5 feet long mat. If you want something longer, you can always connect two mats.
- It has thick steel drag spikes that can break up all kinds of soil.
- Since the iron used is rust-resistant, you can even use it on wet soil for picking up debris.
- The overall construction is heavy-duty.
- It can be used in more than one position.
- The width is not enough to be used behind large lawn tractors.
3. Drag harrow for ATV:Guide Gear ATV Drag Harrow
If you are looking for something very reasonable that will help you do the most basic harrowing tasks, then get your hands on this Guide Gear ATV Harrow. It is 4 feet wide and 4.5 feet long. This Guide Gear ATV frag harrow can be used for basic garden leveling, prepping for sod, seeding, for prepping baseball and other sports grounds and lots more.
The frame is constructed using heavy-duty steel that is corrosion and rust-resistant. The mesh, on the other hand, is galvanized, hence the protective zinc plating makes it weatherproof. All the steel components feature powder coating enforcing the structure of the mesh and the frame to make it more durable. However, it only weighs 39 pounds and hence can be used for the most basic tasks only.
- The mesh is galvanized, hence it is completely weatherproof.
- This harrow comes with a universal attachment tool and all you need to do is hook it.
- It is ideal for leveling playgrounds, parks, and gardens.
- Does not require any assembly and is ready for use out of the box.
- You might have to use a cement block for extra added weight.
- The chain used to hook it to ATV is short.
4. Drag harrow for lawn tractor: Yard Tuff DH-045 Drag Harrow
This drag harrow by Yard Tuff is another light-duty drag harrow ideal for small garden and field owners. It is ideal for a number of jobs including leveling of ground and seeding. The Harrow weighs approximately 41 pounds and measures 4 feet by 5 feet. The best part is, it comes with reinforced steel construction. The frame is constructed using high-quality heavy powder coating steel while the mesh is made using galvanized steel to make it weatherproof.
It features the universal chain-style hitch and can be connected to all types of utility tractors, UTVs and ATVs. for extra added weight, it has a front tray that has the ability to hold 8 inches cement blocks. Hence, improving the overall functionality of the harrow.
- It is ideal for small fields and gardens.
- The functionality can be improved by adding cement bricks.
- It comes with durable and sturdy construction thanks to the powder-coated steel used.
- The harrow features a universal hitch, making it ideal for all kinds of ATVs, UTVs, and tractors.
- The harrow wobbles without cement blocks.
- It cannot be used for heavy-duty tasks.
5. Chain drag harrow: Variable Action Drag Chain Harrow
This heavy-duty drag harrow by MX is one of the best on the market. It is constructed using 1045 Carbon Steel and comes with easy change over abilities as well. The drawbar, chain and the connection ring, all are constructed using heavy-duty carbon steel for added durability and sturdiness. The chain drag harrow is 76 inches wide and 54 inches long. With the added chain and drawbar, its overall length is approximately 7.5 feet.
The best feature of this chain harrow is its easy change over actions. It is easy to change the harrow over for tilling actions for aggressive and passive harrowing. This harrow is ideal for farmers with larger fields including horse and cattle farmers. It can be used to prepare seedbeds, spreading manure, enhancing germination and lots more.
- It has been designed specifically for heavy-duty work and can be used on graveled grounds as well.
- Weighs approximately 90 pounds, hence wobbling will not be an issue.
- Has easy change over for tilling actions including aggressive and passive tilling.
- Ideal for all kinds of harrowing tasks.
- In aggressive tilling mode, the traction is very high.
- For the best aggressive mode results, you have to add cement blocks.
6. Heavy-Duty Drag Harrow: Field Tuff Heavy Duty Drag Harrow
Last but not least is this heavy-duty drag harrow by Field Tuff. The company is known for its gardening related tools, and this particular harrow is one of its best sellers in the market. It features 0.5-inch thick tines that can be used for both aggressive and less aggressive tilling. The tines are designed to break up the soil, pasture the plots, level the plots as well as to grade the soil.
The tow chain comes with a ring that easily fits over any trailer ball that is 2 inches wide. Hence, it can be easily connected to all ATVs, UTVs, and tractors. As far as the switching of tilling actions is concerned, this harrow provides user-friendly switching and working. It also has extra space for adding cement blocks, in case the user wants more aggressive tilling. You can also invest in a separate 4 feet by 2 feet mesh to increase the size of the harrow.
- The harrow has been designed for heavy-duty tasks including grading of the soil.
- It has a universal connector and can connect to most of the towing vehicles.
- The product comes with a provision to increase the harrow size.
- The switching of tilling actions is easy.
- It cannot collect debris and does not rake anything.
- The width is small for larger fields. Hence, it cannot be used with larger tractors. Since the harrow will not cover its tire tracks.
Best ATV Drag Harrow Buying Guide
Before jumping to the factors that are necessary for choosing the right chain harrow, let’s look at the difference between a chain harrow and a disc harrow.
Chain Harrow vs. Disc Harrow
As mentioned, there are a number of different types of harrows. Where chain harrows are one of the most used types, disc harrows are at par with them. A chain harrow has a net-like structure constructed using chains, while disc harrows come with huge discs with sharp cutting edges. Disc harrows usually reach deep inside the ground while chain harrows can only go a few inches deep. The operational depth of disc harrows depends on the size of the disc. Both of them are used for completely different purposes.
The chain harrows are mostly used to aerate the soil, lift unwanted matter, remove weeds and improve seeding. Disc harrows, on the other hand, are used to prepare fields for cultivation by chopping the crop residue. They are extensively used to break hard soil to make it easy for cultivating.Once you have decided that chain harrow is the right one for your needs, there are a few factors you must consider before buying one. Sometimes, farmers make their own chain harrows or get them customized, nevertheless, the following factors will help you decide the type of chain drag harrow you need.
Chain Harrow Width
Chain harrow width plays a pivotal role in the efficiency and performance of a chain harrow. A general rule of thumb is that the width of your chain harrow should be larger than the width of your towing vehicle. Since in this case, the towing vehicle will be an ATV, you don’t have to look into buying a very wide chain drag harrow. Usually, chain harrows come in mats that can be combined together. The smallest mat that can be combined to acquire the desired length.The main reason behind keeping you drag harrow wider than your towing vehicle is so that it can ensure the wheel marks are removed. Moreover, the soil compacted due to the weight of the ATV is aerated again.
Chain Drag Harrow Length
The choice of length of the chain harrow depends on the size of your field. In most cases, semi-professional gardeners consider chain drag harrows with 5 feet length optimal for their medium-sized fields. However, for larger fields a 10 to 12 feet long chain harrow is optimal. Buying your drag harrow without considering the proper size of the tool will only lead to inconvenience. Investing in a smaller drag harrow will make your task longer and strenuous while getting one that is longer than needed will reduce the overall efficiency of the process.
One of the most important parts of a chain harrow is the drawbar that is used to attach the net to the towing vehicle. The drawbar should be heavy-duty and ideally manufacturer using powder-coated thick steel. The most basic drawbars are usually 60 mm in diameter and 5 mm in thickness. Since drawbars are considerably heavy, it is important that they are fully detachable which will improve the handling of the tool. Also, investing in a lightweight drawbar can be a mistake since the extra weight that comes with drawbars improves the leveling by keeping the net off the ground.
Some manufacturers also use 40 mm by 3 mm drawbars that reduce the efficiency of the overall process. The best part is, you can get drawbars in varied sizes from 4 feet to 12 feet.
Type of Tines
Chain harrows usually come with two types of tines:
- Fixed Tine
- 3-Way Tine
Chain harrows with fixed tines feature only one direction of pulling i.e. forward direction. These are usually low cost as compared to the other type of chain harrow. A 3-way tine chain harrow, on the other hand, features three directions of movement. In the forward direction, it provides aggressive plowing, in the backward direction the nature of plowing is passive and not very deep. The third direction is side-ways, in which it can only be used for less aggressive tasks like seeding. A 3-way tine is ideal if you have a number of different fields so that you can choose the type of action based on the ground conditions.
Frequently Ask Question (FAQ)
Choosing a chain harrow can be tricky, especially for beginners. Thus, we have compiled a few frequently asked questions to help you choose a drag harrow based on your ground conditions.
Can a chain harrow be used on wet ground?
No! None of the harrows available on the market are suitable for being used on wet ground. Make sure your field is completely dry before harrowing.
Are chain harrows suitable for leveling the ground?
Yes! Amongst all the chain harrows available on the market, chain harrows are most suitable for pasture renovation, leveling up and breaking the ground.
Is rotary harrow the same as drag harrow?
No, they both are different. Rotary harrow is similar to disc harrow and is used to go deeper into the ground.
Can chain harrows be customized?
Yes, chain harrows can be customized. Many renowned manufacturers provide their consumers with an option to customize the width and length of a chain harrow. You can also make your own chain harrow provided you have the proper tools.
Do chain harrows break?
If you use lighter chain harrows for grounds that need considerable soil breaking and have a lot of stones and pebbles, your chain harrow might break.
Harrowing is one of the best possible ways to maintain and prep your fields. Among the list of different types of chain harrows available on the market, chain harrows are the most versatile and most used. Apart from being used for managing fields, pasturing, leveling, root aeration and removing unwanted low rooted plants, these harrows are also used for managing race tracks and outdoor areas. In this article, we have listed the six best ATV drag harrow. Out of which the Field Tuff HDHA-59 Heavy-Duty Drag Harrow is our top pick since it provides the highest value for money. It has thick teeth and a heavy-duty design. Hopefully this review will help you people to find the desired drag harrow that you are looking for. Besides this, if you are looking for a tow-behind tiller for tilling your garden, you can check out this article. So that’s all for today.